Zimbabwe goes back to strict lockdown for 30 days
The Zimbabwean government has resorted to a hard lockdown on its citizens after experiencing skyrocketing figures in Covid-19 infections over the festive season. 1342 cases and 29 deaths have been recorded in a festive week, it is alleged that the figures are suppressed as citizens are dying without being tested.
Zimbabwe Vice President and Health Minister General Chiwenga addressed the nation on Saturday evening and announced the following lockdown adjusted measures.
In light of the recent surge in Covid 19 cases the following stiff lockdown measures are being put in place with immediate effect;
- Gatherings are reduced to not more than 30 people at all funerals. All other gatherings at weddings, churches, bars, bottle stores, gymnasiums, restaurants etc are banned for 30 days.
- The existing covid 19 preventive health measures will be strictly enforced that is to say the correct wearing of face masks, social distancing, hand sanitization and temperature checks will be strictly enforced and offenders will be prosecuted.
- Only essential services are to remain open such as hospitals, pharmacies and supermarkets, with only essential staff allowed to come to work. These services can only open at 8 am and must close at 3 pm and will be subject to a curfew that will start at 6 pm and end at 6 am.
- Of the other commercial services, only Part 4 lockdown order services such as mining, manufacturing and agriculture will operate as before. Other commercial services specified on Part 5 of the lockdown order that is to say all formal businesses and registered informal traders are suspended from Tuesday 5 January 2021 for 30 days.
- Interprovincial and inter City transport services are restricted only to essential services and Part 4 commercial services.
- People must stay at home save for buying food and medicines or transporting sick relatives. Other exceptions are as specified in the lockdown order.
- As for schooling only examination classes are to open
- Cross border traders are stopped forthwith save for commercial and transit cargo related to essential and critical services.
- Air transportation remains unhindered and will continue as before with arrivals and returning residents being required to present Covid 19 free certificates. As for land access only returning residents and essential service drivers will be admitted subject to presentation of Covid 19 free certificates. These certificates must have been issued at least 48 hours before departure.
- Just to be clear, restaurants, bottle stores and bars are closed for 30 days except for bars and restaurants serving hotel residents. Also, tourist facilities and national parks will operate as before subject to the usual health precautions.
- Restaurants, bottle stores and bars are closed for 30 days immediately expect for bottle store serving hotels and tourist resort areas.