WATCH Highlights & Match Report: Arsenal 1-1 Leicester City, Ten-man Arsenal blunted by late Jamie Vardy equaliser
Full Time: Arsenal 1-1 Leicester City
P. Aubameyang (21): J. Vardy (84)
Current Premier League top- goal scorer Jamie Vardy (22 goals) scored a vital goal at Emirates Stadium to share spoils with 10 men Arsenal.
The goal earned Leicester City a vital point to keep their Champions League hopes on track while ending Arsenal’s recent winning streak.
Arsenals goal come in the first half via a familiar route, a defense splitting weighted pass from Dani Ceballos to find advancing 18-year-old versatile Bukayo Saka who crossed to Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to score his 20th league goal of the season.
Leicester keeper Kasper Schmeichel kept Arsenal at bay with a string of fine saves before the interval, twice denying Alexandre Lacazette as well as Bukayo Saka – and it proved to be a vital contribution.
Arsenal were reduced to 10 men with 15 minutes left when Eddie Nketiah was sent off just four minutes after coming on as substitute for a high challenge on James Justin. Leicester cashed in on their numerical advantage when Vardy restored parity from a Demarai Gray’s cross in the 84th minute, the goal finally awarded after a lengthy VAR check for offside.
It was Vardy’s 22nd league goal of the season and restored his two-goal advantage over Aubameyang at the top of the Premier League scoring charts.
Leicester drop to fourth place, four points ahead of Manchester United having played a game more, but this was an important point that left Arsenal frustrated in seventh.
Arteta turns to versatile Bukayo Saka
Arteta asked the teenager to improve his all-round game after scoring his first league goal in the win over Wolves on Saturday, and on Tuesday the winger was in superb form in the first half, combining brilliantly with Lacazette and Aubameyang in the final third.
Key Opta Facts
– Arsenal remain unbeaten in 23 home league games against Leicester (W19 D4).
– Leicester City have scored 18 goals in the final 15 minutes of their Premier League games this season, more than any other side.
– Aubameyang is just the second Arsenal player to score 20+ Premier League goals in consecutive seasons, after Thierry Henry (five in a row between 2001-02 and 2005-06).
– Only Kevin De Bruyne (19) and Trent Alexander-Arnold (14) have provided more assists among Premier League players in all competitions this season than Saka (12).
– Only Aubameyang has been involved in more goals for Arsenal this season in all competitions (25) than Saka (16 – 4 goals, 12 assists).
WATCH Highlights & Match Report: Arsenal 1-1 Leicester City
Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur
Leicester City vs Bournemouth.